Thursday, August 20, 2026

The Truth Tastes Like Vinegar Sometimes


 

Nobody really likes hearing the truth when the truth is uncomfortable.

Especially when the truth is about you.

I had one of those conversations this morning.

You know the kind.

The conversation where you sit there thinking, “Okay… I really did not order this side of reality with my breakfast.” 😂

But sometimes the truth doesn't care if you're ready for it.

It doesn't care if it hurts your feelings.
It doesn't care if you have a really good explanation.
It doesn't care if you can explain why you did what you did.

The truth is still the truth.

And sometimes?

It tastes like fucking vinegar.

Bitter. Sharp. Hard to swallow.

But here's the part I've been thinking about all morning:

Maybe we're not always supposed to like the truth.

Maybe we're supposed to learn from it.

Today, I had to hear some things I didn't want to hear. Some things that made me uncomfortable. Some things that made me look at myself instead of immediately looking for someone or something else to blame.

And as much as I wanted to argue with some of it…

I knew there was truth in it.

That doesn't mean every criticism someone gives us is automatically correct. It doesn't mean we should accept every opinion about ourselves as fact.

But when someone who loves you holds up a mirror and you don't like what you see?

That's different.

Because sometimes the people who love us the most aren't telling us what we want to hear.

They're telling us what we need to hear.

And that's a hard pill to swallow.

But here's where the real work begins:

What are you going to do with the truth once you've heard it?

Because hearing it isn't enough.

Acknowledging it isn't enough.

Saying, “Yeah, I probably need to work on that,” and then going right back to doing the same thing?

That's just expensive self-awareness. 😂

At some point, you have to make an effort.

You have to change the behavior.

You have to have the uncomfortable conversations.

You have to apologize when you're wrong.

You have to stop making excuses for the things you know aren't working.

And sometimes, you have to admit:

"Maybe I have some work to do, too."

That's not weakness.

That's growth.

And maybe that's the biggest reality check of all.

We spend so much time wanting other people to change, understand us, hear us, apologize to us, or meet us halfway.

But sometimes the hardest—and most important—question is:

“What part of this can I change?”

That's the part nobody wants to talk about.

Because it's a whole lot easier to point fingers than it is to look in the mirror.

Today, I'm choosing the mirror.

I may not have enjoyed what I saw.

I may not have loved everything I heard.

And I'm definitely not going to pretend it tasted good.

But maybe a little vinegar is exactly what I needed.

Because the truth doesn't always come wrapped in something pretty.

Sometimes it shows up messy.

Sometimes it stings.

Sometimes it pisses you off.

And sometimes it comes from the person you least expect.

But if you're willing to sit with it instead of running from it…

Maybe the truth isn't there to tear you down.

Maybe it's there to give you a chance to do better.

So here's to the uncomfortable truths.

The hard conversations.

The mirrors we don't want to look into.

The people who love us enough to tell us the things we don't want to hear.

And the courage to actually do something about it.

Because knowing better is one thing.

Doing better is where the real work begins. ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment