Let’s talk about gaslighting.
Not “we remember the conversation differently.”
Not “I forgot I said that.”
And definitely not “Oops, I was wrong.”
Gaslighting is when someone repeatedly manipulates you into questioning your own memory, perception, judgment, or reality.
Basically, they create the confusion… then stand there pointing at the confusion like:
“See? YOU’RE confused.” 🤡
Oh, the audacity.
🚩 “I NEVER SAID THAT.”
Except… you remember the conversation.
Maybe you even have the text messages.
And suddenly they’re acting like your brain is running a free trial of Delusion Premium.
“You’re imagining things.”
“You’re too sensitive.”
“You always make everything a big deal.”
“That’s not what happened.”
“You’re crazy.”
“Everyone thinks you’re overreacting.”
And after hearing it enough times, you may start thinking:
Wait… did I misunderstand?
Am I being too sensitive?
Maybe I really am remembering it wrong.
And THAT is where gaslighting can become so damaging.
Because eventually, you're not just arguing with them…
You're arguing with yourself.
🎯 HERE'S THE PART PEOPLE MISS:
Gaslighting isn't simply someone disagreeing with you.
Two people can experience the same situation differently.
Someone can genuinely forget something.
Someone can say, “I don't remember it that way.”
That's not automatically gaslighting.
Gaslighting is about the pattern of manipulation.
It's the repeated attempt to make you distrust your own reality while positioning themselves as the only reliable source of "truth."
And honey…
You don't need a courtroom transcript of your entire life to trust yourself.
🧠WHY IT MESSES WITH YOUR HEAD
When someone constantly denies what happened, changes the story, minimizes your feelings, shifts blame, or insists that your perception is always wrong, you can start looking outside yourself for confirmation.
You stop asking:
“How did that make me feel?”
And start asking:
“Am I allowed to feel this way?”
You stop trusting your memory.
You over-explain.
You collect evidence.
You reread texts.
You replay conversations in your head.
You start documenting things because apparently you're now the unpaid secretary of somebody else's bullshit.
And that's exhausting.
🔥 SO WHAT DO YOU DO?
Start paying attention to patterns, not isolated incidents.
You don't have to win every argument.
You don't have to convince someone that your feelings are legitimate.
And you don't have to keep presenting Exhibit A through Z to someone who has already decided they're never going to take accountability.
Sometimes the most powerful sentence isn't:
“Let me prove what happened.”
It's:
“I know what I experienced, and I don't need you to agree with me for it to be real.”
Mic drop. 🎤
Because healthy relationships—whether romantic, family, friendships, or even workplace relationships—should leave room for communication, accountability, and different perspectives.
You shouldn't have to abandon your own perception just to maintain someone else's version of reality.
Trust yourself.
Question yourself when you need to.
Grow when you're wrong.
Apologize when you screw up.
But don't automatically assume you're crazy simply because someone is determined to convince you that you are.
Sometimes the problem isn't that you're “too sensitive.”
Sometimes you've simply been exposed to someone who is very committed to avoiding accountability.
And that's not gaslighting you being crazy.
That's gaslighting doing exactly what it's designed to do.
🔥 Your reality doesn't become invalid just because somebody else doesn't like it.

No comments:
Post a Comment