“I have things going on in my life.”
Okay.
And?
So does everybody.
Some people are dealing with stress. Some are grieving. Some are struggling financially. Some are exhausted, overwhelmed, anxious, heartbroken, frustrated, or just hanging on by a thread.
And yet somehow, they still manage to understand a very basic concept:
Their pain is not permission to hurt other people.
You can be struggling and still be respectful.
You can be overwhelmed and still communicate.
You can need space without becoming cruel.
You can be angry without verbally shredding everyone within a 10-mile radius.
And you can absolutely say, “I'm having a really rough time right now, and I need a little grace.”
See how easy that was?
Because there's a BIG difference between explaining your behavior and excusing your behavior.
“I've been under a lot of stress lately” explains why you might be short-tempered.
It does NOT magically erase the fact that you were an asshole.
And let's stop confusing compassion with tolerance.
I can understand that you're hurting without volunteering to be your emotional punching bag.
I can have empathy for what you're going through and still have boundaries.
I can care about you and still tell you that the way you're treating me isn't okay.
Because here's the uncomfortable truth:
Your circumstances may explain your behavior, but they don't absolve you of responsibility for it.
And honestly?
We're all carrying something.
You don't get bonus points because your baggage happens to be heavier than mine.
Life can make you bitter.
Or it can make you more compassionate.
But at some point, you have to decide whether your pain is going to become an explanation for your behavior...
or an excuse for it.
And if your favorite defense is always, “But you don't know what I'm going through,” maybe it's time to remember:
Other people don't know what they're going through either.
So before you unload your entire emotional dumpster fire onto somebody else, take a breath.
Communicate.
Apologize when you're wrong.
Take accountability.
Get some space.
Ask for help.
Do literally anything other than making innocent people pay the emotional invoice for problems they didn't create.
Because having a hard life doesn't make you a bad person.
But repeatedly choosing to treat people badly and then hiding behind your struggles?
Yeah...
That's not trauma. That's a lack of accountability wearing a sad little disguise. 😏
And boundaries aren't cruelty.
Sometimes they're simply the moment someone finally decides:
“I can have compassion for what you're going through without allowing you to destroy my peace.”
#Boundaries #Accountability #SelfRespect #EmotionalHealth #ToxicBehavior #LifeLessons #KnowYourWorth

No comments:
Post a Comment