Let’s talk about something nobody really enjoys talking about:
Accountability.
Not the fun kind where we point out everybody else’s mistakes while conveniently forgetting our own.
The real kind.
The kind where you have to sit with yourself and admit, “Yep. I made that choice. I ignored that red flag. I stayed too long. I trusted the wrong person. I said something I shouldn’t have said. I could have handled that differently.”
Oof.
That little conversation with yourself can be uncomfortable.
But it can also be incredibly freeing.
Because your past is supposed to be a lesson, not a life sentence.
We have all made choices we wouldn't make today.
We've all trusted people we probably shouldn't have.
We've all ignored our gut because we wanted something to work.
We've all stayed somewhere too long, said yes when we meant no, settled for less than we deserved, or made decisions from a place of fear, loneliness, anger, desperation, or just plain not knowing any better.
That's called being human.
What isn't helpful is spending the next ten years replaying the same chapter and asking, “Why did I let that happen to me?”
At some point, the question needs to become:
“What am I going to do differently now?”
Because you can't change what happened.
You can't go back and have the conversation you wish you'd had.
You can't un-send the text.
You can't un-date the person.
You can't un-take the job.
You can't un-make the decision.
And unfortunately, there is no magical little customer-service desk where you can return your bad choices for store credit. 😂
But you can learn.
You can apologize.
You can make amends.
You can change your patterns.
You can stop choosing the same kind of situation and then being shocked when you get the same kind of outcome.
And perhaps most importantly…
You can stop punishing yourself for who you were while you're becoming who you are.
Accountability doesn't mean beating yourself up.
It means telling yourself the truth.
Maybe someone hurt you.
Maybe someone treated you unfairly.
Maybe circumstances were completely outside your control.
Those things can be true and you can still look honestly at your own choices.
Both things can exist at the same time.
Healing isn't about deciding that everything was your fault.
It's about deciding that your future is still your responsibility.
That's a very different thing.
So if you made mistakes?
Learn from them.
If you wasted time?
Stop wasting more of it wishing you hadn't.
If you trusted the wrong people?
Pay attention to what you learned about yourself.
If you ignored your own needs?
Start listening now.
If you made choices you're not proud of?
Make different ones.
And if somebody else played a part in your pain?
You don't have to carry their behavior around forever just because they refuse to take responsibility for it.
Their choices belong to them.
Your healing belongs to you.
You don't have to stay stuck in the courtroom of your past, constantly presenting evidence about who did what and why.
Eventually, the verdict needs to be:
“I learned. I grew. I forgive myself. And I'm moving forward.”
Not because the past didn't matter.
Because you matter more than staying trapped in it.
Your past can explain you.
It can teach you.
It can humble you.
It can even change you.
But it does not get to define you.
And sometimes the most powerful thing you can do isn't forgiving someone else.
It's finally forgiving yourself for not knowing then what you know now.
Take the lesson.
Leave the guilt.
Own your choices.
Heal the hurt.
And for the love of all things peaceful…
stop rereading chapters you've already survived.
There's a whole lot of life left to write. ❤️

No comments:
Post a Comment