“But you survived.”
Okay. Technically.
If by survived you mean my nervous system got absolutely body-slammed, my brain learned to scan every room for danger, and my body still occasionally reacts to threats that aren't even happening anymore…
Then yes. Gold star. I survived. ⭐️
But here's the thing people don't always understand:
Survival and healing are not the same thing.
You can leave the toxic relationship.
You can walk away from the chaos.
You can finally get somewhere safe.
You can cut the person off.
You can rebuild your life.
And still have a nervous system that didn't get the memo.
Your mind may know you're safe, while your body is over there like:
"Interesting. But let's keep an exit strategy anyway." 👀
You flinch at sudden movements.
You wake up at the slightest noise.
You overthink someone's tone.
You notice every little change in someone's behavior.
You struggle to relax.
You automatically prepare for the worst.
You apologize when you haven't done anything wrong.
You feel guilty for having needs.
You have trouble trusting peace because you've learned that sometimes peace was just the commercial break before the next episode of bullshit.
And sleep?
Oh, your body may have opinions about that too.
Because sometimes the danger is gone, but your nervous system is still standing guard like an unpaid security officer who hasn't been told the shift is over.
That's not weakness.
That's what happens when you've spent too long surviving something your body perceived as unsafe.
Healing can look incredibly unglamorous.
Sometimes healing is not a beautiful sunrise, journaling beside a cup of herbal tea, suddenly loving yourself and floating peacefully through life.
Sometimes healing is:
"Why did that harmless comment make me want to disappear?"
"Why am I panicking when everything is actually okay?"
"Why am I waiting for the other shoe to drop?"
"Why can't I just relax?"
And then slowly learning:
I don't have to live like I'm still in the place that hurt me.
You don't have to shame yourself because you're not "over it."
You don't have to prove you've healed because somebody else thinks enough time has passed.
And you certainly don't owe anyone a performance of being okay just because you're no longer in survival mode.
Give yourself some grace.
Your body spent a long time protecting you.
Now you're teaching it that it doesn't have to.
Little by little.
One boundary.
One deep breath.
One safe relationship.
One peaceful night.
One moment of choosing yourself instead of abandoning yourself.
That's healing.
Not pretending it didn't happen.
Not forgetting.
Not becoming who you were before.
Becoming someone who finally feels safe being who they are now.
So yes…
I survived.
But I'm not stopping there.
I'm healing, rebuilding, relearning, and becoming someone my younger self would finally feel safe with.
And if my nervous system wants to be dramatic about the process?
Fine.
It's been through enough.
I'll let it have its little moment. 😂

No comments:
Post a Comment