Let’s clear something up.
I don't just say wild things on social media.
In real life, I say them with eye contact.
Because apparently some people still believe the internet gives you a different personality.
It doesn't.
If I post it, there's a pretty good chance I would say it sitting across the table from you, looking directly into your eyes, while casually sipping my drink. π
I'm not interested in creating a perfectly curated version of myself for public consumption.
What you see is pretty much what you get.
I can be sweet.
I can be sarcastic.
I can be ridiculously goofy.
I can have a serious conversation.
I can give good advice.
And every now and then, I can say something that makes somebody clutch their pearls like they're auditioning for a daytime drama.
But here's the important part:
Being authentic doesn't mean being intentionally cruel.
There is a difference between being honest and being hurtful.
There is a difference between having a personality and having no filter whatsoever.
And there is a HUGE difference between speaking your truth and using "I'm just being honest" as an excuse to be an asshole.
You don't have to sugarcoat everything to be kind.
You don't have to agree with everyone to respect them.
And you definitely don't have to shrink your personality because somebody else is uncomfortable with it.
Some people will love your humor.
Some will think you're too much.
Some will completely understand your sarcasm.
Others will need a flowchart, three examples, and a PowerPoint presentation. π
That's okay.
Not everybody is your audience.
The older I get, the less interested I am in performing a version of myself that makes everybody else comfortable.
I'm going to laugh loudly.
I'm going to say what I mean.
I'm going to make jokes.
I'm going to call things exactly what they are when necessary.
I'm going to love people fiercely.
I'm going to apologize when I'm wrong.
And if I say something with enough confidence to make you stare at me in silence for five seconds...
Well...
I probably meant it. π
But authenticity also means being willing to check yourself.
Because sometimes we aren't "keeping it real."
Sometimes we're just being messy.
Sometimes we're not "telling the truth."
We're just trying to win an argument.
And sometimes that brutally honest thing we desperately want to say?
Doesn't actually need to be said.
Growth is knowing the difference.
So yes, I may say some wild things.
Online.
Offline.
In the grocery store.
In the car.
Possibly while standing in your kitchen.
But at least you never have to wonder which version of me you're getting.
The personality comes standard. No assembly required. π
And if I ever say something that makes you think, "Oh, she really said that..."
Just remember:
I didn't type it hiding behind a screen.
I would've said it with eye contact. π
And probably a smirk.
Because apparently that's my brand. π

No comments:
Post a Comment