Sunday, September 27, 2026

Some People Are Not Your Fix-It Project


 


There comes a point in life when you finally realize something incredibly freeing:

You are not responsible for fixing everybody.

Not their attitude.
Not their behavior.
Not their emotional baggage.
And definitely not their questionable life choices.

Because, as the quote says:

You can't fix stupid.
You can't heal toxic.
Loving people harder doesn't make them love you back.
And over-explaining yourself doesn't mean you'll be understood.

And whew.

That realization can save you years of unnecessary stress.

You can't fix stupid.

Sometimes people simply don't want to learn.

You can explain something calmly.

You can explain it again.

You can explain it differently.

You can provide examples, evidence, diagrams, a PowerPoint presentation and possibly a small whiteboard.

And they STILL won't get it.

At some point, you have to stop asking, “How can I make them understand?”

and start asking,

“Why am I working this hard to make someone understand something they have no interest in understanding?”

Because sometimes your explanation wasn't the problem.

They just weren't listening.

You can't heal toxic.

This one is harder because when you care about someone, you naturally want to help.

You see their potential.

You think maybe if you love them enough, support them enough, forgive them enough and give them enough chances, they'll finally become the person you know they could be.

But here's the uncomfortable truth:

You cannot do someone else's healing for them.

You can love someone.

You can encourage them.

You can support them.

You can set healthy boundaries.

But you cannot do their emotional work for them.

And if you're constantly getting hurt while trying to heal someone else, eventually you have to ask yourself why you're the one ending up exhausted.

Loving harder doesn't guarantee being loved back.

We've all been there.

You give more.

You forgive more.

You communicate more.

You make excuses.

You become more patient.

You keep thinking, “Maybe if they just realize how much I love them…”

But love isn't a vending machine.

You don't put in more love and automatically get love back.

You cannot love someone into having the capacity to love you the way you need.

And you should never have to audition for basic consideration.

And then there's the over-explaining.

Oh, the over-explaining.

😂

You say something.

They misunderstand.

So you explain.

They still don't understand.

So you explain the explanation.

Then you give the backstory, the context, the timeline and probably three supporting documents.

Before you know it, you're basically presenting Exhibit A to the jury:

“Your Honor, if you'll direct your attention to paragraph four…”

But here's something I've learned:

Being misunderstood isn't always a communication problem.

Sometimes people understand you perfectly.

They simply don't agree with you.

Sometimes they don't want to understand you.

And sometimes they've already decided what they want to believe about you.

You cannot explain yourself out of somebody else's narrative.

The goal isn't to be understood by everyone.

The goal is to understand yourself.

Know your intentions.

Know your values.

Know your boundaries.

Know what you're willing to tolerate—and what you're not.

You can say:

“This is how I feel.”

“This is what I need.”

“This behavior doesn't work for me.”

And then you can stop talking.

You don't need to submit a 14-page supplemental brief.

😂

The day you realize this, you get lighter.

Not because everyone suddenly changes.

They won't.

Some people will remain difficult.

Some will continue making questionable decisions with the confidence of someone who has apparently never met a consequence.

Some won't understand you.

Some won't appreciate you.

And some simply won't love you the way you hoped they would.

But eventually, you realize:

That's not your job to fix.

You stop chasing.

You stop convincing.

You stop rescuing.

You stop explaining yourself into exhaustion.

And you start paying attention to what people actually show you instead of what you hope they'll become.

Because sometimes the healthiest thing you can say is:

“I don't have to fix this.”

I don't have to convince you.

I don't have to chase you.

I don't have to explain myself until I'm exhausted.

I don't have to love you hard enough for both of us.

And I certainly don't have to set myself on fire trying to keep somebody else warm.

Sometimes you just have to put down the toolbox, walk away from the construction site and admit:

This is not my project.

And honestly?

What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment