Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Having a Hard Time Is Not a Free Pass to Be an Asshole

 



Let’s talk about something that apparently needs to be printed on a billboard:

You can be going through some serious shit and still be responsible for how you treat people.

Yes, life gets hard.
People struggle.
People get overwhelmed, stressed, angry, exhausted, heartbroken, disappointed, broke, confused, frustrated, and occasionally one minor inconvenience away from sitting in the Walmart parking lot questioning every life decision they've ever made.

I get it. We ALL get it.

But here’s where the excuse train needs to stop.

“I have a lot going on right now.”

Okay.

And?

So does everyone else.

Your bad day doesn't automatically make someone else's feelings irrelevant. Your stress doesn't give you permission to snap at people. Your trauma doesn't excuse cruelty. Your personal problems don't come with a complimentary “Treat Everyone Like Crap” coupon.

And before somebody gets defensive, let's be clear:

Understanding someone's behavior and excusing it are two completely different things.

I can understand that you're struggling.

I can have compassion for what you're dealing with.

I can even give you some grace.

But I can also say:

“I understand why you're hurting, but you don't get to hurt me because you're hurting.”

That's called having boundaries.

And boundaries aren't punishment. They're not revenge. They're not being cold or heartless.

They're simply saying:

“Your circumstances may explain your behavior, but they don't erase its impact.”

Because here's the uncomfortable truth:

Some people use their struggles as an explanation.

Others use them as a get-out-of-accountability-free card.

And those are NOT the same thing.

A healthy person can say:

“I'm struggling right now, and I'm sorry I took it out on you.”

An unhealthy person says:

“Well, I'm going through a lot, so you should understand why I treated you like shit.”

See the difference?

One takes accountability.

The other demands permission.

And sweetheart, those aren't interchangeable.

So yes, give people grace.

But don't give someone unlimited access to you just because they've convinced you that their pain matters more than yours.

You are allowed to have empathy without becoming someone's emotional punching bag.

You are allowed to understand someone's circumstances and still walk away from their behavior.

And you are absolutely allowed to say:

“I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. But I'm not going to let your hard time become my hard time.”

Because life is hard enough without volunteering to be somebody else's punching bag.

Compassion doesn't require tolerating disrespect.

And accountability?

Well, it's free.

Funny how the people who claim to have “so much going on” suddenly can't afford any. 😏

Protect your peace. Keep your compassion. Lose the obligation to tolerate bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment