There comes a point when you stop asking, “How can I fix this?” and start asking, “Why am I still trying to fix something that keeps hurting me?”
And honestly?
That realization can feel weird.
Because the old me would have tried harder.
I would have explained myself one more time.
Given one more chance.
Had one more conversation.
Loved a little harder.
Been a little more patient.
Made excuses for behavior that probably didn't need an excuse.
I used to believe that if I just loved someone enough, communicated well enough, stayed patient enough, and gave enough grace…
Eventually, things would change.
Spoiler alert: sometimes they don't.
And that's a hard lesson to learn when you've spent years believing that perseverance is always a virtue.
Because sometimes perseverance is just another word for staying somewhere you're no longer being valued.
There is a HUGE difference between fighting for something and fighting to convince someone else that you're worth choosing.
I'm not doing the second one anymore.
I'm not chasing people who keep choosing distance.
I'm not repeatedly explaining how their actions affect me to someone who has already heard me.
I'm not auditioning for a place in someone's life.
And I'm definitely not standing outside an emotional door knocking forever while someone inside keeps pretending they can't hear me.
😂 Ma'am. Sir. The door has been knocked on. Repeatedly. At this point, I'm going home.
Maybe that's what has changed.
I'm not necessarily colder.
I'm just clearer.
I've learned that peace feels very different when you stop trying to control outcomes that were never yours to control.
Some relationships aren't meant to be repaired.
Some friendships aren't meant to be rescued.
Some connections aren't meant to survive every season.
And some people aren't meant to come with you into the next version of your life.
That doesn't mean you didn't love them.
It doesn't mean you didn't try.
It doesn't mean you weren't patient.
It simply means you finally realized that love isn't supposed to require you to abandon yourself just to keep someone else comfortable.
And maybe that's the strangest part…
You can genuinely care about someone and still decide you're done participating in the same cycle.
You can forgive someone and still stop giving them access.
You can wish someone well and still walk away.
You can miss someone and still know they're not good for your peace.
And you can stop fixing something without being angry about it.
Sometimes you're not giving up.
Sometimes you're finally letting go.
Because not everything that breaks is your responsibility to put back together.
Some things break because they were never meant to stay the way they were.
And sometimes the thing that needs fixing isn't the relationship…
It's the part of you that kept believing you had to earn love by trying harder.
So if you're suddenly finding yourself less interested in fixing, chasing, explaining, convincing, or begging…
Don't automatically assume you've become cold.
Maybe you've just finally learned the difference between fighting for something and fighting against yourself.
And honey…
I'm officially retired from the second one.
Peace looks pretty damn good on me anyway. 💅

No comments:
Post a Comment