There comes a certain point in life when you realize something profound:
You simply do not have the time, patience, or emotional bandwidth to fix everybody else's problems.
And apparently, that includes their grammar.
I used to be the person who would carefully type out a text, reread it, fix the typo, add punctuation, remove the extra punctuation because I didn't want to sound aggressive, and then reread it again before hitting send.
Now?
I hit send and let the chips fall where they may.
Autocorrect wants to change my words?
Let it.
If you can figure out what I meant, congratulations. You've passed today's comprehension exam. π
Because at this age, I'm not interested in explaining myself 17 different ways because someone decided to misunderstand me.
You asked, "Wjats up?"
I said, "Lets meey for kuinch."
Now you have a puzzle.
Solve it.
Maybe it's a typo.
Maybe it's a secret code.
Maybe I'm just hungry and my fingers have officially retired.
Either way, that's your problem now. π
And honestly, I think this applies to more than texting.
At some point, you reach an age where you stop feeling obligated to constantly correct everything and everyone.
You don't correct every misunderstanding.
You don't chase every person who pulls away.
You don't argue with every opinion you disagree with.
You don't spend three hours crafting the perfect explanation for someone who already decided they're going to misunderstand you.
And you definitely don't write a five-paragraph essay explaining why you're upset to someone who couldn't even manage to ask, "Are you okay?"
Nope.
We're tired.
We've got bills.
We've got responsibilities.
We've got laundry that has been sitting in the dryer long enough to qualify as a permanent resident.
We don't have time for emotional gymnastics.
We don't have time to decode mixed signals.
We don't have time to figure out why someone suddenly started responding with "K" instead of "Okay."
And we certainly don't have time to wonder whether that period at the end of a text means you're mad.
If you are mad, use your words.
We're adults.
Mostly.
So yes, I'm at the age where I don't autocorrect anymore.
But I'm also at the age where I don't over-explain anymore.
I don't beg people to stay.
I don't chase people who don't make an effort.
I don't compete for attention.
I don't audition for a place in someone's life.
And I don't argue with people who are committed to misunderstanding me.
You either get me or you don't.
And that's okay.
Because I've learned that peace is more valuable than being understood by everyone.
Sometimes you just have to shrug, put your phone down, and say:
"Well… I guess that's one way to interpret it."
And then keep living your life.
Because here's the real lesson:
Not everything needs to be corrected.
Not every typo.
Not every opinion.
Not every rumor.
Not every person.
Sometimes the most mature response is simply:
"That's interesting."
And then moving right along.
So if I text you and the sentence looks like it was written by a raccoon with a broken thumb…
Just sound it out.
Use context clues.
Phone a friend.
Call the FBI if you absolutely must.
But please don't ask me to fix it.
I'm busy living my best life and ignoring my autocorrect. π
And if you can't figure out what I meant?
Well…
Maybe we're not compatible.
Because if you can't handle "Wjats up? Lets meey for kuinch," I'm not entirely sure you're emotionally prepared for the rest of me. π π
Welcome to the era of typos, boundaries, selective hearing, and absolutely zero unnecessary explanations.
We've got places to be.
And apparently, kuinch to eat. ππ½️

No comments:
Post a Comment